Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Album Review: Usher - Looking for Myself

Usher Raymond IV, better known simply as Usher, has been one of the hottest and brightest stars in music since the mid 90s as a baby-faced teen. His musical career has experienced astounding highs (ie Confessions) and very few, if any, lows. Just when you think Usher is getting "too old" or you think his career is done, my man reinvents himself. He has cemented his own place in music history as one of the best selling artists of ALL time and he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

On June 8th, 2012, Usher released his latest effort, Looking for Myself. If Usher is truly looking for himself musically, then he has a lot of places on look on this album. An eclectic gumbo of hip-hop, pop, techno, and other musical elements, L4M has something for everyone. Usher manages to take his signature sounds and stretch them to appeal to a plethora of musical palates.

I have a confession to make (no pun intended). I had to listen to a few songs more than once to decide how I felt about them. I have a very open mind when it comes to music, but Usher represents a certain "figure" in my mind. I've always known and expected his capacity to change, but I wasn't quite ready for Looking for Myself. But, I found the more I listened, the more I liked who Usher is becoming. I can't speak for him on a personal front, but musically, he is not lost, but beginning a new and exciting journey.

Here is a track-by-track look at Usher's latest! Please note, these are my opinions and my review does not include the bonus tracks. You have to listen for yourself :)

*Like my brain, the songs are all out of order. Welcome to my world!*


"Looking for Myself" 
When I buy an album, if there is a title track, I head there first. My expectation is that the song will give me an overall feel for the album. In Usher's case, this is a true statement. Featuring great production by Rico Love (he's amazing), there is a 80s feel to this song. Usher's vocals blend seamlessly with the laid-back beat and he, along with Luke Steele, create an infectious tune. ***5 snaps***

"Numb"
Remember when I said I had to listen to some tracks several times to get a feel for them? For me, this was one of them. The first time I listened, I wasn't sure how I felt about this song. But, I think I like it...yeah, I like it. Not the best song on the album, but certainly not a bad song either. ***3 snaps***

"Lesson for the Lover" -
This one's a winner. For the fans who love "classic" Usher, add this one to your playlist when its time to...play ;). This tune is sexy, dark, and brooding...I want need a video for this song. Rico Love did his thang on the production front once again!! ***5 snaps***

"Sins of my Father"
This track sounds like something I have never heard before. How can I describe it? It is....a 60s sound meeting a Caribbean vibe. Usher plays a scorned, bitter son (and overall man) well on this one. A surprise like from me. ***4 snaps***

"Euphoria"
Some things are not for everyone. I am not sure how I feel about this song. This one may grow on me....so I don't want to rate it unfairly.

"Can't Stop Won't Stop"
I have mixed feeling about this one. One one hand, this my new guilty pleasure. There is a perfect blend of Usher's R&B roots with a techno pop twist. There is a bit of overproduction vocally, in my opinion. I have never been a huge fan of Usher with auto tune. He doesn't need it. Only people who have no vocal talent do.  Otherwise, this is a great song! ***4 snaps***

"Scream"
This. Is. Addictive. I need this joint like AC in the NC summer time. Love it! ***5 snaps***

"Climax" -
Amazing production by diplo. You can't lose with Usher and diplo on the same song. It is not physically possible. This one tears at my heartstrings and brings back memories of past love. Classic. ***5 snaps***

"I Care for You"
HOT HOT HAWT HAUTE...however you want to spell it. Usher snapped on this song (in a good way). There is a healthy helping of pop and techno with a dubstep beat backdrop. Who produced it? Danja!! Nothing more to be said. Easily one of my favorites on the article! ***5 snaps***

"Show me"
I love Usher Raymond, but not this song. But hey, no one likes everything...decide for yourself! ***2 snaps***

"Twisted"
Usher took a page out of Raphael Saadiq's book (which is one hell of a musical masterpiece). What an amazing sound delivered by the incomparable Pharell. Welcome back Pharell!! ***5 snaps***

"Dive"
Very 8701-ish ....love it. Rico Love does it again. He's my new fav producer. Not that he has to work hard when working with a vet like Ush. ***5 stars***

"What Happened to You"
Lyrically, this is my favorite song on the album. Usher gets all introspective and moody as he opens the windows and doors to his inner thoughts. Is he lamenting for an certain famous ex? IDK..I don't like to start rumors LOL ***4 stars***

"Lemme See"
Of course, every album has to have the song with urban appeal and mainstream radio play. This is this song. Not a Rick Ross fan, so he takes away some of the appeal of the song for me. But, Usher is a king when it comes to club music, and he does it again!! ***4 stars***

Overall, this is a very solid album from Usher. Did we really expect anything different?? Usher's voice has never sounded stronger, he's musically focused, and I smell a new tour coming up.

Congrats and continued success to Usher Raymond!

*This pic is from Usher's 2010 OMG tour...taken in Greensboro, NC by yours truly*


 Love Usher,

-T. Amour


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving Usher is a "gottadothing"in book.

MS Mahawar said...

image is looking great....and love songs also!

T Amour said...

I agree! Usher's ability to reinvent himself and remain humble are two of the keys to his success. Not to mention he is incredibly talented!