Wednesday, April 25, 2012

5 Great Songs by Songz

Happy Wednesday! Today, I'm rockin' to and writin' about Trey Songz! When you read the title of my post, I am sure one of three thoughts come to mind:

#1 Yes! I love Trey Songz.
#2 Really? I can't stand Trey Songz.
#3 Who the heck is Trey Songz?

First, I will clarify things for people who fall into the #3 category. Trey Songz (real name: Tremaine Aldon Neverson) is a rapper turned R&B singer who came on the scene with his debut album, entitiled Gotta Make It, in 2005. His breakthrough album, Ready, dominated 2009 and cemented Trey's status as a modern day sex symbol. The album's standout single, "I Invented Sex", became the first #1 single for Trey on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart. *If you have not heard this song, you have been living under a rock. I don't care who you are or what kind of music you like, this song was INESCAPABLE in 2009.*

Since 2009, Trey has continued to capitalize on his success with a follow up album, "Passion, Pain, and Pleasure",  successful tours, mixtapes, and a strong following via his fan club, Trey's Angels, and various social media sites. Currently, Trey is preparing for the release of his 5th studio album, appropriately titled "Chapter V".

This post actually has the #2 thinker in mind. I wanted to select a few songs (both popular and unfamiliar) to showcase his versatility. This is by no means an exhaustive list of his music catalog, just a sneak peek. I know that #1 thinkers, like myself, will appreciate it, so I am not worried about us :)

Why am I in the #1 category? It's not because he is attractive (although he is) or because he sings "baby-making music" (because, contrary to popular belief, he is a versatile artist). I like Trey Songz because of how he carries himself in the entertainment industry as a man. He's not all over tabloids, he's not caught up in a bunch of drama, and he's not "dating" someone new every 5 seconds. He is a businessman who is focused on building a brand and I respect him for it. 

*hops off soapbox* Aight, let's get down to the music...Hope it puts a smile on your face! 

5) "Set of Wings" -On this track, Trey mourns the real-life loss of a loved one. His sentimental and spiritual side is showcased through lyrics such as "The Lord done opened up heaven's doors for you. Walk on through." He looks to the Bible for comfort and understanding in a difficult time. If you have ever lost anyone close to you, this song gathers your feelings and displays them in a 3 minute lamentation.

4) "Can't Be Friends" -Ever tried to make a friendship something "more"...only to discover it was a terrible idea? Yeah, me too. This standout track from the "Passion, Pain, and Pleasure" era samples "Bibo No Aozora" by Japanese composer "Ryuichi Sakamoto" and has one of Trey's best vocal performances.

3) "Flatline" - Trey (temporarily) ditches his ladies' man persona and shows his saccharine side on this song. His voice soars over the pop-rock influenced beat. For those who don't know, he is heavily influenced by artists outside the R&B/Hip-Hop world and often branches out into different genres on his albums.

2) "Black Roses" Once again, Trey rejects the genre/subject matter box the industry tries to position him in, goes for a Maroon 5 sound, and succeeds. His falsetto conveys a woeful tale of a love gone wrong. 

1) "One Love" - This is hands down my favorite song from "Ready". I want this song to be played at my wedding. And the "live" version (the official video) is EVERYTHING. *DISCLAIMER: I OWN NO RIGHTS TO THIS VIDEO OR SONG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO THE RESPECTIVE OWNER(S)*

Even after hearing this list, you may not want to join #teamsongz, but perhaps you will have a different perspective on Mr. Songz. There may be a part 2 in the future.....stay tuned.

One Love,

-T. Amour



*I took this pic when he was on Usher's OMG tour in December 2010 *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm certain there will in fact be a part #2 and possibly #3 and highly probable that there will be a part #4...LOL. Great post!

T Amour said...

Thank you!!