Saturday, August 25, 2012

RIP Aaliyah - I Miss You

August 25th, 2001. I was a 14 year old freshman who had just completed my first week of high school. I was at home relaxing and watching videos on MTV (remember when they used to play videos?) when a heartbreaking message was announced. Aaliyah's bright, beautiful light had been extinguished in a fiery plane crash.

My heart sank to the pit of my stomach. At that time, I was crazy about Aaliyah. I thought she was one of the most beautiful people I had ever seen. I had every CD she came out with and I admired her style. I wanted to dress like her and wear my hair down with her infamous "swoop" covering my eye. I tried, but it never looked quite like hers!

To this day, I regret never getting a chance to meet her and tell her how much she inspired me. I often wonder what the female R&B landscape would be like if she were alive today. Would people appreciate her clean and drama-free lifestyle? Would they be interested in her subtle form of sexiness? I hope so. Her maturity and profound insight on life would not have allowed her to experience many of the pitfalls that our young female stars succumb to. 

In just a few short years, Aaliyah managed to inspire an entire generation. And, if I could meet her today, I would tell her thank you for great music, staying classy, and truly being one in a million.

We love you Aaliyah.

- T. Amour




No comments: