Friday, April 4, 2014

National Poetry Month: Day 3 & 4 - Langston Hughes

We are already 4 days into National Poetry Month!! It looks like April is going to fly by us!

Since I didn't post yesterday, I wanted to share two more poems with you. Both poems were written by the late, great Langston Hughes, a Harlem-Renaissance era poet and one of my favorite poets of all time.

Enjoy "I, Too" and "Catch"
**All rights reserved to the respective writer and publisher of this material**

"I, Too"

I, too, sing America.


I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.


Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.


Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed—


I, too, am America.

"Catch"

Big boy came 
Carrying a mermaid
On his shoulders
And the mermaid
Had her tail
Curved
Beneath his arm.

Being a fisher boy,
He'd found a fish 
To carry-
Half fish,
Half girl
To marry.

No comments: