Sunday, December 16, 2012

Trey Songz: The Chapter V Tour Charlotte NC

Happy Sunday!

I attended the Chapter V tour on Friday, December 14th in Charlotte, NC. As a fan since his 2005 debut (freshman year of college...good times), I have been to several shows and watched him grow as an artist and performer. I blog about Trey often ( See Chapter V review and 5 Great Songs by Songz) and wanted to do VIP, but couldn't due to recent events.

Like the album, the Chapter V tour was a grand experience. Since his Anticipation 2our, he has added backup dancers, singers, and sax/trumpet player to elevate his performances to another level. Trey brought R&B crooner Miguel and rising soul singer Elle Varner on board to prove that the essence of R&B still exists.

Here is a breakdown of what happened at the concert. For those who have not attended yet and plan to, I will try not to give away too many details.

Elle Varner - The show started immediately with Elle Varner. Elle looked and sounded ABSOLUTELY wonderful! I love how she has an old-school tinge to her voice, yet her music is heavily embedded with hip-hop undertones. To my chagrin, she only performed about a couple of songs, including her hits "Only Wanna Give It to You" and "Refill". However, she did a rousing version of my favorite single on Perfectly Imperfect   entitled "Not Tonight". Great band and a pretty kick-ass dude beatboxing.



Miguel - This was only my 2nd time seeing Miguel in concert. The last time was in December 2010 when he was an opening act for Usher during his wildly successful OMG tour. Of course, Trey Songz was also in the building. He was a new artist with only one single and an underrated album under his belt. I was familiar with the songs and enjoyed his performance, but he was largely overlooked by most of the audience. On this tour, Miguel brought his A++ game. All decked out in a fly leather jacket and slim dress pants, he put on one hell of a show, performing his smash hit "Adorn" as well as a couple of songs from his latest CD Kaleidoscope Dreams. The highlight of his set was when he took a moment to acknowledge the horrific tragedy that took place earlier in the day. Miguel poured his heart into singing "Candles in the Sun" as a tribute to the Sandy Hook victims. I cried :(



Trey Songz- Trey was Trey. His set started off with a musical timeline reflecting on his biggest hits. As all the fans reminsced and anxiously awaited his arrival, Chapter V logos flashed across the screen. Once Trey emerged, the energy and excitement was non-stop. The concert participant was pulled through a bevy of emotions as Trey Songz took us to the club, bedroom, and the joys and pains of love. Recently, he has been struggling with sickness, yet it was barely evident as his gave his all on stage. I have three personal favorite moments:

1) "One Love" - Trey performed this song in honor of the fallen victims from Sandy Hook Elementary School. His pure emotion touched everyone present and many were hugging and in tears. Beautiful song, beautiful vocals, and a beautiful moment I will never forget.

2) "Fumble" - I love this song in ways I cannot begin to describe. I recorded this song until my camera met its demise. Since so many arms and cell phones were in my way (I'm 5'3), I turned to the jumbo screen. Forgive my shaky camera work, I was just as excited as the people around me lol





3) The girl with the halo - Before Trey came on stage, I noticed a girl in the upper level section with all white on and a halo. She was so cute and appeared to be young, but she was no doubt a Trey's Angel. At the end of all his shows, he always brings the house lights up and recognizes a few people in the crowd. He glanced over at her section and shouted her out. To her surprise, he asked her to come on stage. Once she arrived, he gave her a Chapter V gold necklace, a kiss on the cheek, and hugged her as the crowd cheered her on. I later saw her in the hallway with her friends and a HUGE smile on her face.

The tour was great!! Can't wait until next time...maybe I will be on tour with Trey as a writer/blogger to capture his city-to-city experiences :) We can all dream, right??

-T. Amour


No comments: