Sunday, October 28, 2012

RIP Natina Reed of Blaque



Yesterday was an awesome and sad day. I got a chance to once again participate in North Carolina A&T's homecoming festivities, including seeing one of my faves (Trey Songz) twice and experiencing the amazing Elle Varner in concert. Although A&T is not my alma mater, I married into an Aggie family, so I am one by default!

However, the Twitter universe quickly spread the sad news of Natina Reed's untimely passing. Natina was a member of  the 90s girl group Blaque. Blaque, an acronym which stands for Believing Life Achieving Quest Unity Everything, was discovered by Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes of TLC, who died in a tragic car accident in 2002.

As a young tween/teen in the late 90s, Blaque was a favorite group of mine. They were like a younger version of TLC, complete with two singers and Reed as the rapper of the group. Blaque's most popular hit, "808", shot up the charts in 1999 and was followed up by "Bring It All to Me". The group also dipped into acting, starring in "Bring It On" with Gabrielle Union in 2000.

I remember buying their self-titled debut and playing it to death with my younger cousin. Natina was my favorite person in the group and I would rap along with her :) No, their music was not groundbreaking nor Earth shattering, but it was fun and lighthearted.

Their music takes me back to a time when women didn't have to strip down and be overtly sexy to get attention. The days before bills, stress, heartbreak, and uncertainty.....good ole childhood.

Natina Reed was hit and killed by a driver on a busy Altanta road this past weekend. Sadly, she would have turned 33 today. Its eerie to note that she, like Left Eye, was not only the rapper in a girl group, but also died at the same age in a motor vehicle accident. 

I hope her son, family, and group members find comfort during this difficult time. Blaque was in the process of reuniting and working on a new album...




RIP and Happy Birthday Natina!

-T. Amour




No comments: