Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 14: National Poetry Month: Poetry in Motion: Amel Larrieux "Gills and Tails"



Any one who reads my blog knows I love my sis Amel Larrieux.

Today, my poem of choice is actually one of her songs. "Gills and Tails" is truly poetry in motion: smooth, serene, and thought-provoking.

Enjoy and Have a Great Week!

-T. Amour



"Gills And Tails" 

I looked at my reflection in the water 
Thought what an unlikely pair 
Closed my eyes, held my breath, plummeted down, down, down 
And anchored myself there 

Can't tell how long I've been 
In the company of gills and tails 
I think I feel my skin 
Growing scales 

Can I come up for air 
Can I come up, 
can I come up 

I'm gettin' eaten up down here 
I'm just not built like them 
The big fish have a monopoly 
The little fish get buried in the sand 

This here world I'm in 
Sucks your life out, 
leaves you comatose 
Take back your salt and fins 
Send me a lifeboat 


Can I come up for air 
Can I come up, 
can I come up 


I look up with longing at the surface 
Hypnotized by the way the sunlight seems to ride each ripple 
And they do a dance 
Every ray becomes a beckoning hand 
I miss the sweet taste of oxygen 
I mistook this for the promised land 

No comments: