Sunday, June 17, 2012

4 Great Father's Day Songs!!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!! You know, I get angry at least once on Father's Day. Not because of any frustrations in my relationship with my own father, but I feel a tingling all over my skin when people cheapen what Father's Day is really about.

Yes, we all understand that this day, like Mother's Day and other holidays, are commercial holidays to make money off our emotions (let's be real). But, it is nice to set aside a day to recognize the many wonderful and present fathers out here.

Instead of celebrating great dads, I often see many people flock to social media to lament about their no-good baby daddies, absent fathers, and mothers who had to be fathers too. I know this is a reality for many men and women in society today. I grew up in a single mom home and my dad was not always in the picture.

But, I choose not to bash my dad or any other man I know who may not have been a stellar father. Was my dad perfect? No. He did many things wrong. Instead of focusing on his shortcomings, I take time and remember the good times I have had with my dad. I remember the great advice that I have gotten from him as a teenager and adult. I focus on his good qualities instead of harping on the bad decisions he made in the past. And, I take time to call, text, and honor other fathers I personally know who are amazing.

To make a long story short, if you don't have anything nice to say today, then don't say anything at all!

Here is a list of 4 Great Father's Day songs I love!!

1) Chrisette Michele - "Your Joy"

2) Luther Vandross - "Dance with My Father"  *for those who have lost their dad*

3) Beyonce - "Daddy"

4) Will Smith - "Just the Two of Us"  *father to son song*

There are so many more, but these are my favorites. I hope you all have a great week!!

Love Dad,

- T. Amour

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's easier to forgive hurt then it is to hold on to it:)