Sunday, June 10, 2012

Alice Dunbar-Nelson and A Smooth Music Playlist

Hello dreamers, believers, and lovers of life! As I have said before, I have been very busy and I am "jumpin' in deep water with short legs" in just 6 days. For those who don't speak "country", I am getting married.

But, I didn't want an entire week to go by without dropping another selection by the amazing Alice Dunbar-Nelson as well as letting you in on a few songs I had lodged in my brain this week.

First, let's talk a bit of music. Lately, I have been a ticking time bomb, poised to explode with the slightest motivation. To shift my mindset from the stress of planning a wedding (I am a woman, in case you are wondering), I have been listening to mainly instrumental music and smooth R&B. Here is a couple of my favorite jams this week.

  • The Crusaders - "Chain Reaction"
  • Boney James - "After the Rain"
  • Sade - "No Ordinary Love"   *A post for her will be coming soon...she is incredible*
  • Amel Larrieux - "Gills and Tails"
  • Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - "In A Sentimental Mood"
  • Lauryn Hill - "Sweetest Thing"

I hope these songs relax you, bless you, and take your mind to a state of serenity :)

Now, for poetry. I have been reading a few of Alice Dunbar-Nelson's work this week. She was my featured poet last Monday ( Click Here for Previous Post ) and I wanted to share another piece of her literature with you. With Ms. Dunbar-Nelson, her poetry stands up and delivers its message clearly on its own. Enjoy!

Amid the Roses by Alice Dunbar-Nelson

There is tropical warmth and languorous life
Where the roses lie
In a tempting drift
Of pink and red and golden light
Untouched as yet by the pruning knife.
And the still, warm life of the roses fair
That whisper "Come,"
With promises
Of sweet caresses, close and pure
Has a thorny whiff in the perfumed air.
There are thorns and love in the roses' bed,
And Satan too
Must linger there;
So Satan's wiles and the conscience stings,
Must now abide—the roses are dead.

As you journey through this week, continue to focus on your goals and dreams. Don't let any person, any situation, or any obstacle stop you from making progressive movement! Have faith in yourself and your ability to take your talents and channel them through a positive outlet. And don't forget to reach out and help others in whatever way you can. When you help others, the universe returns the favor back to you. Positive karma is a plus!

Peace and Blessings,

-T. Amour

No comments: