Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My 10 Favorite Michael Jackson songs

As we all know, yesterday marked the three year anniversary of Michael Jackson's passing. Since I was under the weather (I was also sick when he died), I did not get to post this blog yesterday, but any day is an excellent day to honor the greatest entertainer of all time.

I don't need to give you any background info. You already know the story. Anyone who loves and appreciates music knows that Michael Jackson was a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon. And I am grateful and honored to have lived during a portion of Michael Jackson's reign as the King of Pop.

I remember when MJ died. I got off work early on June 25th, 2009. I was sick, pregnant, and wrapped up under covers in my bedroom mindlessly flipping through TV channels when I stopped on a news channel.

The news was interrupted by the announcement of his passing and my heart sank to the floor. I began to cry. Not because I knew him personally, but I cried because I knew what the music world had just lost. I always knew Michael Jackson would be around in his 80s, still hitting a dance move and coaching younger artists. I never thought his life would end the tragic way it did.

Michael Jackson loved mankind and broke barriers for African-Americans. Without him, there would be no Chris Brown, Usher, Trey Songz, or any of the R&B acts today. He had a passion for music, entertainment, and knew how to command a stage and pour his emotions into a song. I can watch a YouTube video of any of his performances and FEEL his passion.

Sadly, Michael was lonely and unhappy for most of his life. I hope he is free and happy on the other side.

Here are my 10 favorite Michael Jackson songs (I could go on and on...but I won't. And I love Man in the Mirror too...but a list of 11 is a strange number LOL)

1) "Billie Jean"  *I know this is the woman in me, but he looked pretty good in this video. Don't judge me!*
2) "Remember the Time"
3) "Smooth Criminal"
4) "Human Nature" *gives me goosebumps*
5) "The Way you Make Me Feel"
6) "Rock With You"
7) "Wanna be Startin' Somethin"
8) "Beat It" *this song is perfect...just, perfect*
9) "Bad"
10) "Butterflies"

Michael, you will live on forever through your music. Future generations will study your artistry and try to match your charisma, style, and effortless ability to entertain the masses.

Love you Michael,

-T. Amour

No comments: