Saturday, March 9, 2013

RIP to the Notorious B.I.G.


He had the world wrapped firmly in grasp. He was only 24 years old, yet his classic first album, hauntingly titled Ready to Die, was a radical and rhythmic hip-hop experience. He was widely regarded as the face of the East Coast rap scene. And his star power was destined to increase with a highly anticipated second album, Life After Death. Unbeknownst to Christoper Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G., the album would truly be a channel for him to live on after an untimely and cataclysmic death.

On March 9th, 1997, 18 days before the release of Life After Death, we suffered a huge loss. The Master of Multi-Syllabic Rhymes and the Imperator of Imagery was gunned down in Los Angeles. I was a 10 year old kid who loved hip-hop and I mourned openly with my then 15 year old sister.

As the years have passed and I have continued to watch hip-hop music morph, I realize how Earth shattering his loss was. I realize how his gifted storytelling, smooth flow, and heightened sense of awareness was revolutionary.

There is only one Biggie Smalls.

With Love,

-T. Amour


No comments: