Sunday, May 13, 2012

5 Songs for Mom (Mommy, Momma..etc)

Happy Mother's Day! Virtually everyone has a mother figure in their life. This woman may be the person who gave birth to you physically. She may be the aunt, godmom, or family friend who you could depend on when you needed advice, a hug, or someone to vent your frustrations to. She may have helped you be reborn spiritually and mentally as a "church mother", a community sage, or a school teacher. The important thing is, you have had someone in your life boldly step into life's greatest challenge: being a mother.

For me, I have been blessed to have several great mother figures in my life. I have my natural (birth) mother. She was a single, fearless mom who raised me to be a independent, financially savvy, compassionate, and productive member of society. Was she perfect? No. But she did an amazing job raising two hard-headed and strong-willed daughters.

I also have my sister. When my mom was out working long shifts to make ends meet, she would get me up in the morning and make sure I got to school okay. I have laid my head on her shoulder many times and allowed tears to cascade down her arms. And now that we are both mothers, our bond as sisters has grown tremendously.

I have amazing aunts, community pillars, spiritual leaders, and many other women who have shaped me into the woman I am today. I am a mom of a preschool aged daughter, and I need their words of wisdom and advice to help me on this sweet, strange, confusing, and rewarding journey as a mom.

So, in honor of Mother's Day, I want us to honor and respect the women who have shaped us into the greatness we are today! Even if you don't have the greatest relationship with your birth mother, take today and honor the women (and/or men if you were raised by a single dad) who have ran and are running life's race with you.

Here are 5 of my favorite songs for Mom (I own no rights to these videos, all rights are reserved) :

1) Boyz II Men - "A Song for Mama" *this is a tear jerker*


2) 2Pac - "Dear Mama" *the hip-hop Mother's Day Anthem*


3) Good Charlotte - "Thank You Mom" *this is so sweet*


4) Jaime Foxx - "Wish You Were Here" *for all those who have lost the Mom in their lives*


5) The Intruders "I'll Always Love My Mama" *classic 70s soul*


I hope everyone has a serene and sweet Sunday!! 

Love Mama,

-T. Amour (@poetrymusiclife)






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The old school songs are banging. They bring joy yo my heart, because I'm a mom with two great daughter (who are also Moms).I love this.

T Amour said...

Thanks!! This is in no way an exhaustive list of the great songs for mother's...there are so many! Like my FB page: http://www.facebook.com/LovePoetryLoveMusicLoveLife